Sunday, July 29, 2007

Open Science - Free Inventions for Everyone

This is the first time I suggest the concept Open Science directly. I have been working on this concept for some months, and it is not finished, but please comment!

Open Science my suggestion to a concept that is thought to get around many of hindrances of the technological advances discussed in this blog, by making it free and available for everyone (indicated by this blog that it is currently not).


The Main Concept:
The prime objective of Open Science is that the inventions reach the users who can benefit from them and not get blocked in the process by third parties (inventors being first and users second parties).


Open Science is to be similar to Open Source, but developing openly on inventions rather than text code. A forum is needed for this development, and I imagine a net database would be best suited for this. The inventor/scientist uploads his blueprints, supportive investigation reports, comments, guides and other supportive information to the forum, thus giving up the idea as a protected patented and make it free to use and alter for all.

Money!
The forefitted claim to hypothetical financial gains from an expensive patent can be gained by voluntary donation economy, consultant work and product specific advertisement (like Googles ads) that can help interested builders to get parts from dealers through the forum. If people get into the habit that they can get the best technology, free, it may be hard to pay for unnecessarily high priced products (energy for example).

The social advantages:
Making inventions and build-yourself-guides available without restrictions on the net, potentially makes it accessible for anyone with Internet access; even third world countries. Hopefully, more people with similar ideas and input for a good invention can feed the project to improve making more people involved in developing (and accepting) important technologies, regardless of their background.

The disadvantages:
Third parties may have an interest in stopping an initiative as Open Science. Governments may find it dangerous that technology is globally available, since every technology can be abused as well as bring the civilization a step up the ladder. Companies with competing products will most likely feel threatened by free (and perhaps better) alternatives and attempt lawsuits. This is one of the reasons for keeping the concept free is crucial. If none are selling, there is no physical product and the know-how is free and documented (and thus unpatentable) - it should be difficult to build a case.

Other Open Science projects:
On the net an Open Science project already exist creating open source software (for free) for science applications. However this is not open science, but applications, and since I have not found a better term for this idea, I will stick with Open Science until a better alternative present itself. Journals also use the term for scientists publishing for a larger fee making it free to download in contrast to subscribing to journals. This is the opposite of open science in my opinion. The closest thing I found to my own idea so far is the Open Notebook Science (idea by Jean-Claude Bradley) that simply lets anyone read your science notes, not just the publications.

Warning:
Many have given me the feedback that they think I want to start a movement or change the world. Not really. Too many have tried and failed in getting people to do more than nod politely in consent from the arm chair. My idea with Open Science is to appeal to the industrial countries national sport: apathy. The idea is like Wiki books, that gives the knowledge directly to those who are willing to receive it, around economical interests and politics (I don't even want to fight them). People can get the solutions to what they need, if they can get out of their arm chair. If western countries don't - then let the Chinese take initiative, or someone else. In the end things are what we make of them. I can not predict what a successful outcome looks like for Open Science to the world.

5 comments:

Jean-Claude Bradley said...

Brian,
Are you thinking about making your own work as a doctoral student open?

Brian Lassen said...

Hello, Jean-Claude.
Yes, it is my intention, and in my project planning, to lead my science work to become an Open Science project. I hope to develop an effecient and non-toxic disinfectant for the parasites I work with. Before I get this far I naturally need to clear the idea of using my future Open Science "invention" with all my superiors. To my fortune I am lucky to be in a country and a department that is not afraid of thinking new, so I believe to have good chances. We will see how it turns out in the comming student year. I will also look into your Open Notebook Science to see if I can use this. If you are interested in collaboration, please contact me.

Jean-Claude Bradley said...

That's awesome - good luck with clearing it! If you can't get approval to make all your work open in real time, maybe pick one specific project. I would be happy to help you set up and collaborate. Make sure to contact me when you are ready.

Peter Han said...

Brian,

I think the idea of Open Science is a great one. What else have you found since your last blog posting on this issue? I am very interested in this idea and am willing to help make it come true starting in a small way. I look forward to hearing from you on any recent news or thoughts you have on this subject.

Thank you,

Hank

Brian Lassen said...

Update on the Open Science: Recently (around this post) The Open Scource Drug Discovery program was started in India (http://www.osdd.net/). A vast OPEN collaboration of scientists on a WORKING platform. The first steps have been taken.